It was an exciting moment when I received a call last March from Motorola Solutions, Inc. to invite me for an interview for an available marketing internship opportunity over the summer. The hiring manager told me that after she reviewed my resume and application, she thought that I had the right academic background and experience mixture she was looking for. She needed a candidate who is a graduate student in marketing but who also has an IT background and can understand complex technological offerings. Prior to joining DePaul, and after I graduated with my bachelor’s in Information Science, I worked for couple of years in sales and consultation for an IT firm.
Motorola Solutions, Inc., based in Schaumburg, IL, serves the Government and Enterprise segments by designing, manufacturing, and selling communications infrastructure, devices, system software, and applications. It has about 22,000 employees around the globe and is one of the two companies that were born after the original Motorola, Inc. split in 2011. Motorola Solutions, which is the legal successor, sold its mobile business to Google, Inc. which formed a new company, based in Chicago, IL, called Motorola Mobility.
ASTRO 25 is Motorola Solutions’ core of public safety mission critical communication systems. It is the radio system used by first responders like firefighters, police officers and 911 dispatchers to communicate. Being the ASTRO Marketing Intern, I spend 80% of my time with the Global Product Management team within the System Infrastructure Operations unit, and the remaining 20% with the Global Product Marketing team.
Four days of the week, I meet with product managers and research from various resources to collect information and create new Go-To-Market material, or update old ones that no longer have valid information due to feature changes due to system updates. I find the most fun in creating new GTM material because, especially for my first project, there are valued offerings that the market is not aware of, and having GTM material for these offerings available to sales teams, means better sales opportunities and greater revenue.
Once a week, I work with the Global Product Marketing team. With this team, I learn about various marketing efforts purely run by the team. I learn about best practices to prepare for new product launches like creating brochures, multimedia and webpages. I also learn about plans and preparations prior to major exhibitions from organizing the products for display to testing the demo units. One more very interesting skill I’m learning with this team is the depth of thoughts that go in creating GTM material, not in terms of design, but in terms of information. What information goes in the material, to whom it will be presented, who will use it and when in the lifecycle of the product it will be used are just a small sample of the questions that are discussed prior to creating new GTM material and when reviewing and updating new ones.